Is Black Mold Growing in Your House?

Black mold in home
Black mold in home

Mold is a type of fungus that can grow almost anywhere. From your home to outside, there are many possibilities where you can be exposed to mold. Because mold can grow quickly and remain unnoticed at times, it’s important to know the signs of mold exposure.

Most people tend to have sensitivities to mold growth, which allows us to be alert and question if it’s growing in our homes, but too much exposure can lead to harmful effects on your body.

Let’s look at the common signs of mold growth in the home, and how you can detect if mold is growing:

Musty Smell in the Home

Mold has an unusual and unpleasant smell that is fairly noticeable to others when they enter your home. If you don’t see any visible signs of black mold, it’s smell can help you detect if there is a problem in your home. Mold can hide behind wallpaper, plastering, tiles, or other spaces. If you think that might be the case, a professional will be able to inspect your house’s rooms for black mold safely.

Respiratory Irritation

Black mold exposure can cause allergies and irritations. And people who usually have allergies may be more sensitive to mold exposure than others. Some common symptoms include:

  • A runny nose
  • Itchy eyes
  • Dry Cough
  • Skin Rashes
  • Sore Throat
  • Sinusitis
  • Wheezing

In more severe cases, you may experience shortness of breath too. 

Visible Indications of Mold Growth

If you notice a dark, fuzzy growth, or a black stain inside your home, this is a likely sign that you have black mold. Another early sign that mold is inside your home is the appearance of dark rings or spots on your walls or ceilings. Too much mold exposure can have harmful effects on your body. If you notice any mold growth (black, white, orange, brown, green), they could be a sign of black mold within the house.

Get an Experts Opinion

If you have a suspicion that you have mold growth in the home, contact an expert to inspect your home. Cornerstone Home Inspections will bring a certified mold inspector to check for mold throughout your home to ensure it’s in excellent condition and safe to live in. Give us a call at 973-650-4151 today with any questions!