Why You Should Get Carbon Monoxide Tested in Your Home

Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon Monoxide Detectors

One of the most important parts of any home inspection is performing a carbon monoxide test. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas that is toxic to humans. Because we cannot see or smell CO, the only way that we can tell if it’s in our homes is by performing a test. Here are some of the warning signs of carbon monoxide and how you can protect yourself from it. 

What Causes CO in Your Home?

Because carbon monoxide is toxic to those living in your home, including your pets, it’s important to know where it comes from. Carbon monoxide is found in household appliances such as stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, and furnaces. They can also be produced from the burning fuel in your cars and trucks.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms have often been described as “flu-like” symptoms. 

Some of the more notable symptoms include: 

  • Fatigue
  • Chest pain
  • Impaired vision
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness and confusion 
  • Nausea

In extreme cases, exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to fainting, and can even be fatal. 


Can Carbon Monoxide Affect One Age Group More Than Another? 

Carbon monoxide affects everyone. However, the elderly, infants, and those with heart disease, or breathing problems, are more likely to experience more severe symptoms. Individuals who are sleeping or under the influence of alcohol can also die from carbon monoxide poisoning before showing signs. To take extra precautions, make sure that you have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home or apartment. If the detector senses anything in the air, it will alarm. 

Can You Prevent Carbon Monoxide from Entering Your Home? 

One of the most accurate ways to prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home is with a home inspection. During a home inspection, you should have your heating system, water heater, and any other appliances looked at by a professional.

You should also consider having your chimney checked and cleaned every year. When chimneys are full of debris, it can cause a carbon monoxide buildup within your home. 

Contact Cornerstone Home Inspections

At Cornerstone Home Inspections, we give you a comprehensive array of professional home inspection services. With every inspection, we offer a free carbon monoxide testing will be conducted. Give us a call at 973-650-4151 today with your questions!