Do you suffer with a stuffy nose, itchy eyes and heavy coughs? Do you feel like you always have an upper respiratory infection? You might be suffering due to the presence of mold in your house. Most people never think about mold. Though it’s often overlooked, the majority of homes in New Jersey have some mold growth in them, and that could very well be the cause of health problems for the people in your particular home.
Some Mold is Toxic
While most mold growth is harmless, some mold is toxic. For instance, black mold is toxic and should be removed from your house. Otherwise you and others in the home might get aches and pains, headaches, changes in mood and even memory loss due to mold poisoning.
What Promotes Mold Growth
Basically, mold is a type of fungus that travels through the air and finds places to settle– usually in dark, damp places. Mold is always searching for moisture, so that’s why it’s often found in people’s damp basements and/or bathrooms. Mold spores can enter the home in the air, coming through windows, vents, heating and cooling systems, etc. It usually grows on drywall, insulation, carpeting, cardboard and wood, especially in humid areas. If you live in an older house that has cracks in it, especially at the foundation, chances are you’ve got some mold in your basement. Does it smell funny down there? It’s kind of like a musty smell.
You might have a mold problem– or you might not. How would you know? A professional mold inspection should be done where an inspector from Cornerstone Home Inspections of Warren, New Jersey, can check to see what’s specifically going on at your place. Call Cornerstone Home Inspections at 1-800-648-6187 to schedule your mold inspection.